|        King of Cricket        |        Sachin Gallery       |        All About Sachin        |        IPL (Indian Premier League)        |

Oct 22, 2011

Sachin Tendulkar invited for the inaugural Indian GP‎

Sachin Tendulkar is excited that the high-profile Formula One race is coming to the country with the inaugural Indian Grand Prix next week and said that he will support the Sahara Force India team.

Invited for the Indian GP by formula one boss Bernie Ecclestone, Sachin Tendulkar is mighty thrilled to witness yet another race day.

"I am excited about Indian Grand Prix F1 race. I will support the Force India team. I have friends like Michael Schumacher but I will support Force India because that is the Indian team and country comes first," Tendulkar said.

Tendulkar, who is passionate about fast cars, has been invited by Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone himself to grace the Indian Grand Prix at Greater Noida on October 30.

"I was passionate about cars from a young age. As I grew up, my passion for fast cars has grown," he said.

On which car fascinated him as a child, he said "when I was young I saw these Fiat, Ambassador, at the most Contessa or Standard 2000. But my brother and others would discuss about Pala car."

"So, the car I love to drive was Pala,"

When Sachin Tendulkar was asked in 2004 about the possibility of India hosting a Formula One race in a few years' time, he said, "I hope that it happens because there are plenty of Formula One fans in India. It's a new sport that is picking up very quickly and the new generation is hooked".

Formula One has been one of Tendulkar's best-loved sports for a while, watching it since 2000. He is delighted for his country's sports-loving public that they now have an opportunity to witness the exhilaration which Formula One lends itself to. "What you see on television is far different from what one sees at the venue," said Tendulkar, who has been to quite a few races. "The noise and speed levels are 15 to 20 per cent greater that what one can imagine... it's great," he said.

He witnessed his first Grand Prix at Silverstone while he was on the 2002 tour to England and met German legend Michael Schumacher the evening before Race Day. In fact, it was Schumacher, who presented him with the keys of the Ferrari car, which is now owned by a businessman from Surat.